1. He learned English by watching the American hit show Friends. His mom bought him the entire DVD and he watched it several times in English, Korean, and with no subtitles.
2. His TOEIC score was 850. The perfect score is 990. He was 15 when he first took the exam.
3. Writing has been one of his passions. He began writing poetry when he was still a student.
4. His passion for writing poems shifted to writing lyrics when he heard Epik High’s “Fly” when he was 11 years old.
5. Before the nickname RM, he was first known in the Korean underground rapping world as Runcha Randa.
6. He got accepted to the group after auditioning for BTS at Big Hit and accepted the offer without his parents knowing.
7. This makes him the first member of the group, hence the leader even though he is not the oldest. (Jin is.)
8. If RM didn’t join BTS or pursue his entertainment career, he said he would have been a writer or a poet.
10. Like many other celebrities, one of RM’s favorite movies is the iconic American classic Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
11. RM studied abroad. He went to New Zealand for six months.
13. He gets a lot of complaints from Jin due to his snoring.
14. His ideal girl is a girl who could pull off a pair of red converse shoes.
15. If asked who would he date among the members if he were a girl, he’d say J-Hope due to his motherlike and caring nature.
16. His sister, Kim Geong Min, is the same age as JungKook. But he doesn’t want to introduce her to their maknae, or youngest member.
17. His parents didn’t originally support him in his career – both of them worked stable jobs in the telecommunication industry and real estate.
18. Mono, his second mixtape is record-breaking. It is the highest-charting album from a Korean soloist on Billboard 200 (as of October 2018).
19. He has been credited with over 160 songs as a songwriter in the Korea Music Copyright Association.
20. Although there are also songs which he wasn’t credited as a composer (such as Love U Hate U, Adult Child, Outro: Circle Room Cypher, Skit: On the Start Line and Perfect Christmas.
Generally RM has a unique personality, he doesn’t overshadow others or blend in and sacrifice his individuality. His dedication to improving his craft includes working on lyrics and composing even after normal working hours.
His impeccable speech writing touched the lives of millions during the United Nations Speech at the launch of Generation Unlimited in New York. This makes him not simply a South Korean idol group member, but a real-life role model that everyone should look up to and strive to emulate.
Watch his solo music video for Intro: Persona which is available on the Map of the Soul: 7 album!
BTS FOCUS is a special series feature of Pinoy Parazzi in anticipation of the Map of the Soul: 7 The Journey Japanese album of Bangtan Sonyeondan or BTS. Every member deserves a spotlight because we love them so much! Stay Gold!